Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Blood Orange and Avocado Salsa


Last week I took a very short trip to San Francisco.  Keith was sent there for work so I flew down for a couple of days to visit with some old friends and just have a couple days in SF without kids.  It was really great and refreshing to get away.

I wanted to find a Farmers Market while I was in town.  It was great to see more of a variety in produce, especially all the citrus.  I bought a few pounds of Blood Oranges from Hooverville Orchards in El Dorado County. Very carefully, I carried them home on my lap.




I had some avocados left over from the weekly basket waiting for me when I got home.  I thought of a simple salad my mom used to make of grapefruit and avocado and improvised a salsa with that salad in mind.  The Salsa was so good and we paired it with some Pacific Cod to make some delicious and very simple fish tacos.

Blood Orange and Avocado Salsa

2 avocados cut into small chunks
3 blood oranges, sectioned
1/2 red onion, chopped
juice of 1 lime













With the left over blood oranges I made these refreshing Tequila Sunrises.  On a somewhat mild night on the first evening of Daylight Savings time, we ate our fish tacos and sipped our tequila sunrises at 6pm in daylight.  It was comforting to have the feeling that spring is slowly but surely on its way to the Northwest.




Blood Orange Tequila Sunrise

Fill glass with ice
2oz Tequila
Juice of about 2 blood oranges
1tblsp Grenadine








2 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea for a salsa! I can't get enough avocados, and the same goes for blood oranges. It seems like such an excellent pairing that I've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie. I think the flavors work so well together. Let me know what you think if you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete