Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lemon and Oregano Marinated Artichoke Hearts



Store bought artichoke hearts are so tasty and versatile, but I started to think how much better they could be made with fresh artichokes, fresh herbs and a few other really quality ingredients. I just planted an herb garden with some really healthy Oregano and I had a bunch of lemons laying around the house so I used that as the base to my marinade. 
Lemon and Oregano Marinated Artichoke Hearts
2 large or 4 small artichokes steamed about 30 minutes and hearts removed.  If your not familiar with cooking Artichokes check out this tutorial.

You can also use 2 8oz packages frozen artichoke hearts.  Cook according to directions on box and then add to marinade.


For the Marinade

1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 cloves of garlic sliced thin
1 pinch of dried chili flakes
1 tablespoon finely chopped Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  Pack two 8-10oz jars full of cooked artichoke hearts.  Pour over marinade to cover all artichoke hearts.




These will be ready to eat in just a few hours and can last up to a few weeks in your fridge.

These are great in pasta, sandwiches or just eaten as is.  Also a great Homemade gift idea too!

I made a simple sandwich of Salumi salami, marinated artichoke hearts, a spread of chevre and arugula drizzling a little of the extra marinade on the bread.

Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. Yum!

    I made a similar marinade today, to make use of some baby purple artichokes I bought at the farmer's market - then I remembered the forgotten half-bag of artichoke hearts in the fridge - and marinaded those too!

    I didn't use a recipe per se, but here are the ingredients I used and some approximates:

    lemon juice 1 cup
    balsamic vinegar - 1 - 2 tablespoons
    canola oil 1/2 c
    olive oil 1/2 c
    celery salt
    fresh basil - chopped
    fresh garlic - crushed
    chopped up lemon rind
    parsley
    rosemary
    mixed Italian spices

    Total artichokes: about 2 cups, cooked

    I steamed the fresh artichokes;
    However I merely thawed/ did not cook the frozen artichoke hearts, since freezing already breaks down the cellulose quite a bit. (I just put them in the hot leftover water after I pulled the baby 'chokes out of the steamer.)

    I put the marinade in the jar first, filling about 1/2 in volume; that helped evenly mix the marinade as the chokes were added.

    I also used an ice tea spoon to poke around and mix the chokes and marinade.

    Should last a few weeks of more very nicely, owing to the lemon, vinegar and garlic as preservatives.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Julie. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete