Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Golden Beet and Blood Orange Fennel Salad

I don't Love beets. I feel like everybody has a really strong opinion about them; it's one of those things you love or you hate. I don't. I really like beets when every bite is accompanied by goat cheese. I guess I could say that about a lot of things. I think it's really the texture of beets that throws me off a bit. Now that I'm thinking about it, I havn't really given them much of a chance other than your typical overused menu item: "roasted beet salad with goat cheese and some kind of nut." I'm trying something new for me, a recipe with beets and no cheese. Golden Beets with Blood Orange and Fennel Salad. I think it sounds delicious. I'm excited about the citrus with the fennel alongside the sweetness of the beets. Maybe this recipe will turn me around.







Recipe for Blood Orange, Beet and Fennel Salad
..........................................

This week's basket had golden beets, romaine lettuce, apples, bok choy, rainbow carrots and again more pears. I've been waiting for some beets because I love their color and look. I don't know why, but my home delivery service likes to chop off the tops of the root veggies. I'm a bit baffled by that since using tops like beet greens are a great second use for beets. Total waste in my opinion. So, I had to make a run to Central Market for some more beets.




Cooking with beet greens:

Beet greens are similar to Chard or Kale. I cook them the same way I love to cook spinach. The younger and smaller the beets, the softer the texture of the beet green will be.

Sauteed Beet Greens, Spinach or Kale

1 bunch washed and drained greens

1-3 cloves garlic minced

Olive oil

Lemon juice

Salt

Heat oil in a deep skillet. Add garlic and give a quick saute. Add greens and cook down until wilted.  For spinach, I add the lemon and salt and take off the heat and serve right away.  For Kale and Beet greens, I let them cook just a minute or two in the pan covered.








No comments:

Post a Comment